Nava Nalanda Mahavihara, Nalanda, Bihar, INDIA. All rights reserved.
Women's Grievance Cell
UGC Task Force - Safety of Women on Campuses of Institutions of Higher Learning :
As per the directive of the University Grants Commission (UGC) dated 8th January, 2013 the institutions of higher learning must ensure safety of women in their campuses. The order sent to universities says: ‘Education plays a crucial role in promoting the egalitarian commitments of Equality and Justice enshrined in our Constitution. It is integral to processes that engender and expand horizons of opportunity for all disadvantaged and marginalized groups including women. Promoting equity through higher education is at the very heart of the agenda of the UGC and reflects its commitment to nurture and preserve democratic praxis and values in places of higher learning. Gender equality, consequently, is integral to this imperative.’
UGC strives to ensure zero tolerance of harassment, of any kind, of girls and women on campus. With the help of the leaders of all educational institutions, UGC would make concerted efforts to help institutions to put in place a responsive mechanism focusing not only on careful supervision but also on institutional interventions, counselling and quick redressal. Accordingly, it is felt appropriate to constitute a Task Force to review present arrangements, to identify loopholes or inadequacies in these, and to formulate remedial measures to address the concerns of the girls and women, and of the youth who study and live in the diversity of the campuses in the country.
The Terms of Reference of the Women's Grievance Cell at the Nava Nalanda Mahavihara (NNM) are as follows :
• To analyse and assess the extent to which the existing arrangements for safety of women are adequate on the campus of the institution;
• To identify shortcomings in the existing system and to suggest measures to put strong safeguards in place;
• To evaluate Grievance Redressal mechanism for gender specific concerns, and to suggest measures to strengthen these;
• To suggest academic measures and action programmes to bring about changes in practices and attitudes within the society towards recognizing the fundamental rights to gender equality;
• To suggest how gender education and sensitization can be made an integral part of the university curriculum in all subject domains;
• To suggest how awareness of gender sensitive issues be made an essential eligibility criterion in the future recruitment of university staff, both teaching and non-teaching.
Dr. Sunil Prasad Sinha
Phone No. & Fax : 06112-281672.
NALANDA - 803111, BIHAR
(DEEMED TO BE UNIVERSITY)
MINISTRY OF CULTURE, GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
NAVA NALANDA MAHAVIHARA